Parish Church of St Mary, Queen of Peace, and St Benedict: A Modern Church Built After the Earthquake
The Parish Church of Santa Maria Regina della Pace e San Benedetto is located in Agosta, in the upper part of the village rebuilt after the earthquake of 13 January 1915. The tremor, which struck the Fucino basin and the Marsica region, also caused severe damage in the Aniene Valley. In Agosta, houses, public buildings and the old parish church collapsed. The new church was built in the 1920s based on a design by the municipal engineer, above the medieval historic centre, which was spared by the earthquake.
20th-Century Architecture
The building is in an eclectic style with Romanesque touches: a façade in local stone, round-arched portal, central rose window and bell gable. The interior has a single nave with a barrel vault and shallow side chapels. The decorations are sober: a white marble altar, terracotta flooring, stained-glass windows in the side openings. There are no frescoes or historic works of art, as everything was created anew after the earthquake.
Its Role in the Community
The church is dedicated to St Mary, Queen of Peace, chosen in the immediate post-war period, and to St Benedict, the traditional patron saint of Agosta due to the proximity of the monasteries of Subiaco. It is the main parish church, and hosts religious services and patronal feasts. The churchyard overlooks the Aniene Valley, and offers an extensive view of the Simbruini Mountains. The church is reached from the historic centre by a stone stairway.