An important meeting place in Rimini
Built in 1747 according to a design by Rimini architect Giovan Francesco Buonamici, the Old (or Ancient) Fish Market is one of the best known and most symbolic places in Rimini. Used for the fish market, among the city’s main sources of living, the building features many structural innovations from a hygienic point of view.
Inside a long portico, covered by a double-pitched roof and formed on the long sides by round arches resting on pillars of Tuscan style, the floor and benches are made of white limestone, which, by sloping and using small channels, had the purpose of displaying the goods and allowing excess liquids and waste to flow better into the drainage channels.
Today, its central location makes the Ancient Fish Market one of the main venues for evening life, also due to the San Gregorio square and the numerous bars and restaurants around the area. We recommend stopping here for a coffee or an aperitif during your visit to the city of Romagna.