Place of art, history and worship in Piazza Duomo
Parma's most important place of worship, it stands in Piazza Duomo and is part of an architectural complex that also includes the Baptistery and the Bishop's Palace.
The Cathedral was consecrated in 1106, and what we see today is not the original construction, having experienced several fires and restorations over the centuries.
A testimony of Romanesque art, it has a "gabled" facade, with the lower part smooth and undecorated, while the upper part becomes more elaborate, consisting of arches and columns forming several orders of loggias.
To the right, the 63-meter-high bell tower stands tall, built to replace an older tower.
The interior houses bas-reliefs by Benedetto Antelami and frescoes by Correggio particularly the marble Deposition made by the sculptor and the Assumption of the Virgin, a fresco that covers the entire inside of the dome, by the painter.