The Diamond of Ferrara
Two façades covered with more than 8,000 dressed blocks of white and pink marble, in the shape of a pyramid, or more precisely a “diamond”. The Palazzo dei Diamanti in Ferrara is a true urban masterpiece by architect Biagio Rossetti.
Over time, it has become one of the city’s main tourist attractions, as well as one of the most typical examples of Italian Humanism due to its splendour and distinctiveness.
Inside the Palazzo dei Diamanti, which has a horseshoe layout, there is a cloister with a marble well in the centre – a typical feature of Ferrara cloisters built during the Renaissance. It has been owned by the Municipality of Ferrara since 1842 and today houses the Pinacoteca Nazionale gallery. On the first floor, there is also an exhibition space that hosts numerous exhibitions organised by Ferrara Arte, attracting visitors from all over the world.
The Palazzo dei Diamanti is an essential, unmissable stop on a trip to Ferrara. Tourist guides to this city in Emilia-Romagna recommend using a bicycle to get round, so you don’t miss any of its beautiful historic centre.