Gateway to the Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise National Park, Gioia dei Marsi is a municipality in the province of L'Aquila whose municipal territory includes the prestigious PGI Patata del Fucino.
The town originates from the village of Gioia Vecchio, located on a rise that faced the ancient Lake Fucino. Probably born as a result of the Saracen raids in the 9th century, Gioia Vecchio underwent a slow depopulation, also accentuated by the draining of the lake, which changed the life and economy of these places not a little.
The terrible earthquake that affected the area in 1915 brought considerable damage to the old village and also to Gioia dei Marsi, which was almost completely destroyed and rebuilt a few kilometres away.
Despite the vicissitudes and upheavals that have occurred over the century, the landscape that surrounds the small Abruzzi municipality is a precious combination of nature, history and genuine flavours.
In the vast mountainous area, it is possible to reach the sources of the Sangro, the second-longest river in Abruzzo, by following wonderful paths through unspoilt nature.
There are numerous sites of archaeological interest and churches that enrich this area with history. Certainly worth a visit are the remains of the many villages destroyed by the great earthquake that shook the Marsica region, such as the ancient village of Sperone, of which a beautiful medieval tower remains, seemingly protecting the memory of an ancient past.