Behind the Royal Palace and the in front of New Wing, the Royal Gardens are an urban green space that extends beyond the historical ramparts over an area of about seven hectares, and admission is free. They form a sort of connective tissue for the Royal Museums, in harmony with the historical and architectural aspects of the Savoy court. They includes the Ducal Garden, the oldest nucleus north of the Royal Palace, the Garden of the Arts, and the 19th-century Tree Grove.
Rich in plant species, water features and fountains, they were designed between 1697 and 1698 for Victor Amadeus II, who had entrusted the task of renovating the green space to the brilliant garden architect André Le Nôtre. Traces of that work remain in the geometric arrangement of the flowerbeds, with the Fountain of the Nereids and Tritons as their centrepiece.
The gardens were closed to the public from 1997 to 2021 following the devastating fire in the Chapel of the Shroud. A series of repair phases has restored the various areas to their original appearance, with enhancement of the fountains and plant heritage.