Former Carmelite Convento in Velletri: the House of Cultures and Music
The former Convento del Carmine is now called the House of Cultures and Music, and houses the civic library, an auditorium, exhibition halls, and a branch of the Academy of Fine Arts of Rome.
A convent born out of nothing
When the Carmelite Friars arrived in Velletri in the 17th century, the north-west part of the town only had an oratory and the church of Sant'Antonino (St Antoninus), dating back to the 11th century. Citizens' donations helped to fund the construction of the convent in the early 17th century, following the typical Carmelite quadrangular layout: with storerooms in the basement, the church and cloister on the ground floor, and the friars' cells on the upper floor.
Frescoes and transformations
In the second half of the 17th century, the lunettes of the cloister were decorated with scenes from the history of the Carmelites. The frescoes — attributed partly to Gaspard Dughet and partly to Antonio Paticchi — remain a small puzzle for scholars. The refectory, now the Hall of Frescoes and the exhibition venue, features a barrel vault depicting the prophet Elijah on a chariot of fire ascending to heaven. The central body of the former church has been converted into an auditorium, and the sacristy has become a rehearsal room.
Later lives
In 1870, the complex was transferred to the State: first it was a warehouse, then a barracks, and from 1911 the seat of government and registry office (until 1960). After years of neglect, restoration work brought the frescoes back to light, and the former convent was turned into the House of Cultures and Music.