The historic green area in the heart of the capital
The multicultural centre of the Esquilino rione, Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II is the largest square in the capital. Near Termini Station, it was built following the Unification of Italy, between 1880 and 1887. It is no coincidence that it is dedicated to the first king of Italy and is considered the symbol of the 19th-century “umbertino” culture.
The garden in the square is a masterpiece of landscape architecture: a romantic green corner in the city centre, featuring works of art and archaeological finds.
You’re sure to be stunned by the so-called “Magic Door”, flanked by twin grotesque marble statues of the Egyptian god Bes. At the north-western corner of the gardens are the impressive ruins of the Nymphaeum of Alexander Severus, a trapezoidal brick structure, originally covered in marble.
In the centre of the garden is the fountain featuring tritons, dolphins and a large octopus: the famous sculptural group known as “fritto misto” by the Romans.
In one corner of the square, surrounded by porticoed buildings, is the 4th-century church of Sant’Eusebio all’Esquilino.