Tower and Palace of Abbot Giovanni V: what lies hidden in the upper part of Gerano
The Tower and Palace of Abbot Giovanni V occupy the upper part of Gerano, reachable only on foot via flights of steps and porticoes leading up from the three ancient gates: Porta Maggiore, Porta Amato, and Porta Cancello. The complex is situated on the Via di Sopra, also known as Via del Palazzo, above the old via Maestra.
The Abbot, the Bishop, and an unfinished building site
In 1077–78, the complex was still under construction. We know this from the "Breve Recordationis," a document drafted by Pope Gregory VII urging the two rival prelates — the Abbot of Subiaco and the Bishop of Tivoli — to complete the work together. Both would be granted free access. But the Abbot decided to build himself a private chapel on the top floor, on his own initiative, on top of the initial section of the communal portico.
What can be seen today
The tower rises above the present-day church of San Lorenzo (St Lawrence), in a strategic position along the "Roman road" connecting Tivoli to Subiaco or Ferentino. The interior has lost its original unity — over time, the various occupants have carved up the spaces, blocking off the staircase on the second floor. On the outside, two small 17th-century balconies survive, along with stucco decorations on the portal of the former papal barracks and an oval relief with cherubs higher up.
What you can see on the way up
Along the path are two communal well-cisterns now incorporated into private buildings, two artisan workshops with their workbenches still at the entrance, and arches that open onto a stone capital. Buildings cling to the rock, crossed by streets on multiple levels.