The Church of St Peter in Anticoli Corrado: a conundrum for scholars
Located in Piazza delle Ville in Anticoli Corrado, the Church of San Pietro was constructed around the 11th century, and enlarged in the 15th century. It features an understated Romanesque exterior that harmonises beautifully with the fountain by Arturo Martini situated directly in front of it. Inside, the Chapel of Saints Cosmas and Damian—the first on the left—is one of the church's most compelling features.
The frescoes and the mystery of Piero della Francesca
The artists behind the chapel's frescoes remain anonymous. While the technical execution of the painting is modest, the composition is remarkably refined: the architectural perspectives and the Doctors of the Church depicted on the vault closely echo the style of Piero della Francesca. This suggests that these provincial painters must have possessed a profound knowledge of his work. The contrast between the differing artistic qualities on view is striking.
A floor that may originate from the Lateran Basilica
The Cosmati inlays of the altars and the pavement are exquisite, yet noticeably mismatched. Some scholars surmise they consist of repurposed fragments from the ancient floor of the Basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano (St John Lateran), which was restored by Pope Martin V, a figure closely linked to the history of Anticoli Corrado and surrounding territory. Though unproven, this hypothesis has never been refuted.
Arturo Martini’s studio
By the early 20th century, the church had already been deconsecrated, and Arturo Martini used it as his sculpture studio. Following extensive restoration works in 1958, it was subsequently reopened for worship.