A majestic 17th-century residence in the middle of Lake Maggiore
In the centre of Lake Maggiore, on the small Isola Bella, stands the majestic Palazzo Borromeo. Once known as Isola di Sotto or Isola Inferiore, it only took the name Isola Bella in 1632 when, at the behest of Charles III Borromeo, the construction of the residence began.
The complex consists of the palace and the garden. The latter, which features a set of terraces decorated in perfect Baroque style, is perfect for enjoying long strolls surrounded by flowers and rare specimens, often in the company of regal peacocks. The Teatro Massimo is one of the particularly spectacular outdoor spaces: overlooked by a statue of a unicorn, the symbol of the Borromeo family, the decoration of statues, obelisks and fountains harmonises perfectly with the plants.
The 17th-century palace is divided into two floors and contains numerous rooms. Of these, the Ballroom, which is the most striking with its vivid blue colour, culminates in a wonderful dome, while the Berthier Gallery houses a collection of over 130 paintings, making it a small private museum.