Originally, the Serpente Aureo Theatre was located inside the Council Chamber of the Municipal Palace and, even today, it does not have its own façade, but is accessed from the entrance under the portico of the Town Hall itself.
It was built in 1820, designed by architect Pietro Maggi and remodelled in 1862.
It has a horseshoe layout in full Baroque style, with 50 boxes on three tiers with a gallery and stalls. The decorations with gilded stucco and carvings on a green background are the work of G. Battista Bernardi, from Offida (18th-19th century), while the vault, depicting Apollo and the Muses, was painted by Alcide Allevi (1831-1893).
Around them, eight medallions depict the most illustrious authors of opera and prose: Pergolesi, Verdi, Bellini, Donizetti, Rossini, Alfieri, Goldoni, Metastasio.
All dominated by an artistic chandelier with crystal globes. The old curtain with the legend of the mythical Golden Snake painted on it is still preserved on the stage.
Photo credit: Regione Marche