One of the oldest churches in Brescia
When exploring the city of Brescia, a visit to the Church of Sant’Agata is a must. Despite being smaller than other places of worship in Brescia, the church has retained its prominence over the centuries and is one of the oldest churches built outside the city walls. Its construction dates back to the Middle Ages, the earliest record being from 1184, but the structure has since undergone considerable modifications, especially between the 17th and 18th centuries.
It features a simple exterior with a gabled façade, embellished only by the colonnaded entrance and large side porch. Inside, the low natural light creates a particularly cosy atmosphere, inviting silent prayer. The single nave is surmounted by a cross vault that rests on imposing pillars. Despite its overall simplicity, the Church of Sant’Agata is home to some valuable works of art, such as The Martyrdom of Saint Agatha by Francesco Prata da Caravaggio and the Polyptych of the Misericordia by Paolo Caylina the Younger.