Discovering the ancient city
Brixia - Archaeological Park of Roman Brescia is an itinerary in the ancient Lombard city of Brescia, among the best preserved in Italy. Abandoned during Late Antiquity, the area was brought back to life in the early 19th century, financed by locals. It has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2011.
The tour begins with the early-1st-century-BC Republican Sanctuary: a complex of four rectangular halls with a “pronao” (portico with columns) at the entrance. The extraordinarily well-preserved frescoes are a rare example of Roman painting from the time of the Roman Republic in northern Italy.
The tour continues with the Capitolium, a temple built in 73 AD dedicated to Jupiter, Juno and Minerva. You can admire the original polychrome marble floors. The eastern hall houses the 1st-century-AD bronze Winged Victory statue, discovered in 1826.
Next to the Capitolium stands the Roman Theatre. Its layout dates back to the Augustan Age, but it underwent development over the centuries, up to the architectural decoration added between the 2nd and 3rd century AD. The building was used until the 5th century, before being abandoned. Part of the “cavea”, the large spectator area, on the slope of Cidneo hill, has been preserved.