In the late 14th century, the lord of Pavia, Galeazzo Visconti, built the Castello Visconteo, a building of great refinement, between 1360 and 1365. Inside, the rooms are still adorned with refined frescoes dating back to the Visconti and Sforza periods. Although lacking the northern wing, which originally served as a link to the Park and the Charterhouse, the Castle retains its striking harmony, one of the greatest and most important masterpieces of late Gothic architecture in Lombardy. Since the post-war period, it has also been the seat of the Pavia Civic Museums, which include an archaeological and early mediaeval section, with rarities from the Roman, Gothic and Longobard periods, a Romanesque and Renaissance section, the Malaspina Art Gallery with works ranging from the 14th to the 16th century, a 19th-century picture gallery, a Morone Collection, a Risorgimento Museum, a Gipsoteca and a Robecchi Bricchetti Ethnographic Museum, as well as a space dedicated to temporary exhibitions. Thanks to the restoration of the Castle Stables, the Civic Museums have acquired an additional exhibition space.