It did not take long for the rule founded by Abbot Joachim of Fiore in 1189 to spread throughout Calabria. And soon the place of worship became the focus of development in an area that had previously lacked a proper settlement.
The 13th-century churchhas undergone some alterations over time and was restored twice during the 20th century, recovering some of its original appearance. The façade features a grand portal from 1220, on which traces of a 1799 fire can be seen, with capitals decorated with palmettes and archivolts decorated with oak leaves. It has a single long nave, with a very prominent transept. Research conducted in the 1950s made it possible to interpret the complicated iconography of the presbytery part of the church, which is related to that of Fonte Laurato.