Piazza di Corte and Palazzo Moretti in Rocca Canterano: the small palace born from ruins
In the village of Rocca Canterano, Palazzo Moretti is a small 18th-century building overlooking Piazza di Corte. It was built between 1756 and 1759 by Arcangelo Moretti. The dates are certain and can still be read: the first appears on a bas-relief on the ground floor, the second is carved on a terracotta tile on the roof eave. Three years of work, carved into the building itself.
A palace built on old ruins
Arcangelo Moretti was the creator of Palazzo Moretti. To build it, he reused the ruins of an ancient watchtower — which seems to have partly collapsed — and a section of the old perimeter walls facing Piazza di Corte, raising them to their current height.
Two doors and the coat of arms
There are two entrance doors from the square. One is topped by a brick arch, the other by a stone arch, with squared and rusticated voussoirs. Above the latter there is a large cardinal's coat of arms, probably left by a cardinal who was hosted in the palace. Both doors date back to the original construction phase.
What’s inside
The interior follows the typical layout of an 18th-century palazzo: a large central hall, bedrooms with antechambers, kitchens and storage rooms in more peripheral spaces. The great hall, recently restored, has a coffered ceiling painted in tempera with floral motifs; the frescoed walls alternate grotesque figures, landscapes and geometric designs. The decorations are attributed to craftsmen active at the time of the restoration of the Rocca Abbaziale (Abbatial Fortress) in Subiaco, due to the marked resemblance with some frescoes preserved there.