Symbol of rebirth in the Val di Noto
Dedicated to San Nicolò di Mira, Noto Cathedral stands majestically at the top of a scenic staircase and overlooks Piazza Municipio from above.
Construction work began in 1693 and was completed 10 years later. After the collapse, in 1996, of the original dome due to a construction defect of one of the pylons, the construction of the new dome that stands today impressive was completed.
The exterior of the Cathedral is in late Baroque style, with a neoclassical touch: the facade, in limestone, isinspired by some French constructions of the eighteenth century, while Corinthian columns delimit the three portals.
Inside are kept real treasures, including the urn containing the remains of San Corrado Confalonieri. The apse houses two bishop's thrones, gilded on the surface and carved wood. Of great suggestion is also the high altar in polychrome marble, behind which you can admire the triptych of the three Saints: Nicolò in the center, Corrado on the left and Guglielmo on the right.
Symbol of rebirth for Sicily and the whole of Italy, the Noto Cathedral is part of the UNESCO site Late Baroque cities of the Val di Noto and is an essential stop for those who are discovering eastern Sicily.