Erected in the square of the same name, the Church of Santa Maria del Carmine is an example of architectural grandeur with a façade made of stone and brick. The church was founded in 1268 and completed in 1476, becoming famous especially for the Brancacci Chapel, decorated with remarkable frescoes by Masaccio and Masolino. During the 16th and 17th centuries, the church underwent major transformations, and in 1771 it suffered a devastating fire. Giulio Mannaioni oversaw its reconstruction following a design by Giuseppe Ruggieri in 1775. The interior, in the shape of a Latin cross, is characterised by a single nave and five altars on each side, decorated with 18th-century style stuccoes. The church is 82 metres long, 15 metres wide and the height of the dome is 34 metres. The ceilings are adorned with frescoes by masters such as Giuseppe Romei, while in the chapels we can admire 17th century paintings, including Giorgio Vasari's Crucifixion (1560). The Brancacci Chapel, which is located inside the church with an independent entrance, is a destination of great historical and artistic interest and can be easily visited through a specially designed route.