The Abbey of San Salvatore a Soffena, near Castelfranco, is located in a hilly area rich in vegetation, and its name recalls an Etruscan origin. It is characterised by a massive stone bell tower dominating a quadrangle. Its history dates back to the 11th century, when the Ubertini family owned ancient territories in the Upper Valdarno. Grave finds and archaeological excavations have traced a cult building similar to the early Christian church of Pieve di Gropina (Loro Ciuffenna), while a document from 1014 confirms the donation of the structure to the monks of Vallombrosa by Pope Urban II. Its current appearance dates back to the end of the 14th century, when a church was built in the shape of a Latin cross and decorated with valuable frescoes, created around the first half of the 15th century. In the inner cloister, porticoed on three sides, there is a central lawn and the bell tower has a square base. Unfortunately, in the second half of the 17th century, the frescoes were battered and covered with plaster. To this day, it is still possible to identify some works, such as the Madonna and Child with Saints Peter and Francis (attributed to Paolo Schiavo), the Annunciation by Giovanni di Ser Giovanni known as 'Lo Scheggia', a Massacre of the Innocents (attributed to the Master of Bibbiena) and the Madonna Enthroned with Child and Saints Lazarus and Michael the Archangel (by Mariotto di Cristofano). A fresco depicting St John Gualbert, founder of the Vallombrosian Order, can also be seen in the entrance. At the time of the Leopoldine suppressions (1780-1790), the Abbey was ceded to the municipality of Castelfranco di Sopra and then purchased by the Ristori family, who turned it into a farmhouse. In 1963, the State took over this structure and carried out a substantial architectural renovation in order to preserve its original appearance. The frescoes, recovered from under the plaster and restored, were placed on special walls.