The prestigious Vescovado: an Art Nouveau religious building
The stately building called the Vescovado was once a residence of the wealthy Anelli family. It is located in the Paese Alto enclave, next to the majestic Torre dei Gualtieri, symbol of the city of San Benedetto del Tronto.
Around 1990, the building was handed over to the Curia to become the bishop's seat.
The Vescovado, formerly Palazzo Anelli, owes its name to the family that lived where the building stands today since the late 1700s. The construction of the palace dates back to February 1730, as recorded in an engraved brick plaque walled into the side elevation. The structure features Art Nouveau elements and consists of two bodies with a rectangular plan.
Specifically, a first two-level forepart overlooking Piazza Giuseppe Sacconi and the other rear part, consisting of four levels that make up the Art Nouveau turret, built by Mr and Mrs Anelli around the 1920s. The grilles, railings and wrought-iron gates with floral motifs, all typical elements of the building's style, are exquisite.
During the bombing suffered by San Benedetto del Tronto on 27 November 1943, most of the building was hit and demolished. Today, after careful restoration, it is the authoritative seat of the Bishopric.