For the latest information on COVID-19 travel restrictions in Italy. Click here.
During the 13th century, the monumental complex was established as a Franciscan church by the Conventual Minorites and was taken over by the Benedictine Monks at the beginning of the 14th century. The extension and transformation of the complex was undertaken at a later date. Due to the Napoleonic suppressions, the monastery was closed, but in 1870 it was restored with the spiritual revival of the Benedictine community. Since 1934 it has been locked up, falling into disuse for several decades. The structure consists of an abbey and a church, still owned by the Benedictines, who no longer use it for worship. In 1984, the abbey was acquired by the State. The Ligurian Offices of the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism started working on the restoration in 1998, investing large amounts of human and economic resources. More recently, the Superintendency became the pro tempore consignee of the abbey.