The emblem of Maritime Republic power
A symbol of the city of Genoa in Liguria, the Ducal Palace dates to the heyday of the Maritime Republic that dominated the Mediterranean after the defeat of Pisa in the late 1200s.
The first core of the palace that would become the seat of the Doge dates to 1339. It was embellished in the 1500s, rebuilt in the late 1700s after a fire and restored in the early 1900s. Today, it is a cultural centre hosting international exhibitions.
It has two façades, one on Piazza Matteotti, once protected by a defensive “curtain”, and one on Piazza De Ferrari. Grimaldina Tower, nicknamed Torre del Popolo, was part of the ancient defence system of Palazzo Fieschi, incorporated into the Ducal Palace since its construction. The tower bells announced city activities, both during solemn celebrations and to summon the court, signal alarms and communicate the outcome of wars.
Inside the palace, visit the Hall of the Great Council, the Hall of the Minor Council and the splendid Doge’s Chapel frescoed in 1653, as well as the flats on the “piano nobile” (noble floor), accessible via a wide staircase.