One of the city’s most beautiful archaeological areas
The archaeological complex of Largo Argentina, known as a "sacred area" which includes the remains of four temples from the Republican era, came to light between 1926 and 1929, following the demolition of a pre-existing medieval district in the area, and now one of the most important archaeological complexes of the city.
The temples are identified with the letters A, B, C and D, in succession from north to south, because it is not easy to establish to which deity they were dedicated.
Temple A (middle of the third century BCE), was perhaps dedicated to the goddess Juturna, Temple B(late second-early first century BCE), which is circular in layout, was probably built for the goddess Fortuna, Temple C (late fourth-early third century BCE) is presumed to be dedicated to the goddess Feronia. The temple D, dedicated to the Lares Permarini or, according to other hypotheses, to the Nymphs was built at the beginning of the second century BCE.
What is called the Curia of Pompey, behind the temples B and C, is where the sessions of the Rome Senate took place, It was here that Julius Caesar was stabbed to death on the day of the Ides of March in 44 BCE. The archaeological area is visible from outside. Overlooking the square is Teatro Argentina, one of Rome’s main theaters.