Skip menu

Church of San Gregorio al Celio


San Gregorio Magno, from a noble Roman family, like Pope San Felice III, founded the church in 575 AD. In the Salviati Chapel there is a painting of the Virgin who, according to legend, spoke to San Gregorio. Before his appointment, Gregorio transformed his house into a monastery and church dedicated to Sant'Andrea Apostolo. In the early Middle Ages, a church dedicated to him was built in its place. Gian Battista Sorìa's project included a façade, staircase and atrium. The interior, in Baroque style, was renovated by Francesco Ferrari.
The façade stands at the top of the staircase, divided into two orders of pilasters. The portico and large balcony windows frame the central bay. The atrium, surrounded by arcades, hosts the burials of important figures, such as Sir Edward Carne, sent by Henry VIII in 1561 to settle the matter of the king's divorce from his first wife Catherine of Aragon. Inside, divided into three naves by sixteen ancient columns, is decorated with pillars and stuccoes. The mosaics inside are of great importance.


Sunday - Saturday
09:00 am-12:00 pm
04:00 pm-06:00 pm
Ordina per
Church of San Gregorio al Celio
Padri Camaldolesi Piazza di San Gregorio al Celio 1, 00184 Roma RM, Italia
Call +39067008227 Website

Related articles

Ops! An error occurred while sharing your content. Please accept profiling cookies to share the page.