Baroque architecture in Rome
Originally built in 1626 at the request of Cardinal Ludovico Ludovisi, nephew of Pope Gregory XV, to mark the canonisation of Ignatius of Loyola, the church of St. Ignatius is among the most illustrious examples of Baroque architecture in Rome.
The project, attributed to architect Carlo Maderno, was completed by Jesuit mathematician Orazio Grassi, who gave the building its harmonious proportions. The façade, the beauty and simplicity of which set an example for the architecture of later centuries, is divided into two parts: the lower part is divided by columns and pilasters with Corinthian capitals, while the upper part features a large window closed between two niches.
Inside are artistic treasures of the highest cultural value, including the fresco in the vault and the majestic 17-metre canvas depicting the illusory perspective of a dome, both by artist Andrea Pozzo. The funeral monument of Pope Gregory XV, in the Ludovisi Chapel, and the altar dedicated to St. John Berchmans also deserve a mention, both noted for their great refinement.